Check it, hot cocoa lovers: you can make your own hot chocolate with stuff you probably already have in your pantry! And the best part? It only takes FOUR ingredients!
One night, I was in need of The Chocolate, but it was too late to go to the store (aka: I was lazy). So I ended up scrounging around my pantry to see what magic I could make. And now, you get to reap the benefit of my mad, chocolate haze-filled night of experimentation.
Single Serving Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
Serving Size: One mug full of chocolatey goodness
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder* (the plain, unsweetened stuff)
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 3/4 Cup of Hot Milk (your choice of milk)
- Throw all the ingredients into a mug
- Heat up your milk
- Carefully stir liquid into your mug o’ chocolate (and then maybe splash some vanilla coffee creamer in there if you live on the edge like me), et voilà! Hot chocolate without the trip to the store!
*If you don’t have cocoa powder, why not try chocolate chips? Take about 1 1/2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and melt them in your mug for 20 to 30 seconds, then mix a little of your hot milk at a time into the melted chocolate to incorporate nicely. If you do end up using chocolate chips, then you’ll want to reduce the sugar you add accordingly.
Now go! Swim in it!