I’m sorry, friends, but Easter made me do it.
All those delicious peanut butter eggs taking over store shelves, harassing my eyeballs at the cashier, wooing me as they pass me by from someone else’s cart? How could I resist the temptation?
Well, I resisted buying them, but I couldn’t resist making them at home. Yes, people. I’m talking dupe recipe. The great thing about doing the dupe recipe? I’m making a proper single serving size, for those times I really just want and need one literal bite. Come on, can someone give me an Amen? If a bag of chocolate covered candy exists in my home, I’m clawing my way to the bottom of the bag because I AM the Mayor of Gluttonville! I can’t have that! No, no, no, no, no! So one bite portion peanut butter eggs for all!
Reese’s Peanut Butter Egg Dupe Recipe
Serving Size: Makes 2 small, quarter sized eggs, or one nice egg.
- 1 T Peanut Butter
- 1 T Powdered Sugar
- 1 T Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- *OPTIONAL* A very small dash of salt, and only if your peanut butter doesn’t have any in it
- Take your PB and powdered sugar and mash it together with a spoon until combined. The end result looks like a small dough ball:
- Shape into 1 or 2 eggs (flatten if you like), then place them on a parchment or wax paper lined plate/bowl/whatever you have on hand in the freezer. Keep it in there anywhere from 10 – 20 minutes
- Once your eggs are very firm (read: won’t melt into a gooey mess when dipped in melted chocolate), melt your chocolate in a bowl in 10 second increments
- Stir the chocolate until smooth and shiny
- Dip your semi-frozen eggs into the chocolate (or drizzle over top – whatever method you prefer)
- Return to the freezer for another 10 minutes (This is optional. You can also just eat them right away. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that!)
- When you first mix the peanut butter and sugar together, it’ll be crumbly and look like it’ll never come together, but trust me, it will. Just keep mixing:
- Also, I use natural peanut butter – just plain old peanuts in the ingredient list. If you use a peanut butter with other things added, you may have to adjust accordingly (i.e. not as much sugar, no salt, etc.)
See how easy? And perfect how it’s just enough to fulfill the craving without filling the waistband, right? Run and make them NOW!