Between living in the desert, the dry winter air, and the heater blowing 24/7, I am a dry mess up in here.
In the desert, finding tried and true products to keep from shriveling up is a serious trial and error process. I have tried so many potions, I should open up my own Sephora. But luckily, I’ve found some products that have actually kept my skin hydrated and not ashy, flakey and dry. And guess what? They’re super affordable (read: cheap) and available just about anywhere!
Maybe they’re already in your winter rotation?
1. Dove Bar Soap - When my brother was really small, he had a bout with eczema. Our ped told my mom to use this soap on him to help with the dryness and itchiness and it worked. So she bought Dove for us all. And I have not used any other soap since. I strayed a couple times (you know, sometimes you have to strike out and try new things). But I always come back to it.
2. Water – Hey, I know! Why don’t we try moisturizing our skin from the inside out? Good idea, right? Drink the water, peeps. Even if you just add one more glass a day, your entire body will thank you for it.
3. Sally Hansen Maximum Growth Cuticle & Nail Moisture – At my last gig, one of my friends was swirling this cute pink pen over her nails before going on stage. I didn’t know what she was doing or what it was about, but she let me try it. And the obsession with this pen continues.
4. Smith’s Rosebud Salve – I’ve mentioned how I use this stuff here and here. I will shout it from the mountain tops, I LOVE YOU, ROSEBUD SALVE! I’ve tried everything out there, but nothing compares to you, (whispering) Rosebud…
5. Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream – This stuff is thick. I love it. It sinks into my skin (takes a minute), I don’t feel like a grease ball or tacky, and the moisture lasts almost all day without reapplying!
6. Nutiva Coconut Oil – Except for water, you could basically nix all the things I just listed above and use this. Yes, you can use it everywhere. I mean, you can use it to remove makeup, you can use it to oil cleanse your face, use it to moisturize your face and body, YOU CAN EAT IT… Coconut oil is the magic stuff. And I get this brand, organic and all, at Costco for cheapy cheap! Get. There. Now.
What are your go-to skin products in the winter?