Oopsy. You know you have a problem when it’s two in the afternoon, you and your husband are both in your pajamas, it’s extra chilly outside, and during the commercial break of the football game, he cries out, “Aw man! You used all the creamer?”
Huh? *Blank expression to conceal guilt*
Okay, so I finished off the creamer, what? Did that mean I was automatically responsible for getting more? That I had to leave the comfort of our home and my jammies for my husband’s coffee experience? If my mind managed to keep me in my pajamas till two in the afternoon, then that also meant my mind was not going to allow me to get out of them!
So out came Chef Google and my search for homemade coffee creamer. And behold! There were other amazing women who had also finished up their husband’s share of the creamer, but successfully avoided a household war by creating creamer recipes for themselves!** And here is mine!
- One 14 oz Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk*
- 21 oz of Half and Half – Hint: use your empty can to measure out your dairy! Also, use whatever dairy/non-dairy beverage you like – we used a combination of heavy cream and milk
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract (depends on how strong you want the vanilla flavor)
- ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a large bowl
- With the empty condensed milk can, measure out a can and a half of your choice of dairy and pour it into the bowl
- Add the vanilla and cinnamon
- Stir mixture carefully at first to incorporate the thick condensed milk with the other ingredients. Mix thoroughly
- Pour your liquid gold into the container of your choice (I reused our old coffee creamer container) and refrigerate until use.
- If your creamer is too sweet for you, add more milk!
- You can actually use whatever flavored extract you have on hand (like almond or peppermint) or whatever spices you like (pumpkin pie, cocoa powder) to make a creamer to suit your taste!
- *If you don’t have any sweetened condensed milk on hand – guess what? Use maple syrup! Substitute the condensed milk for about 1/4 – 1/2 cup of maple syrup (or to your desired sweetness) and follow the steps accordingly!
And like that, there was peace on earth.